Thomas M. Lombardo
Tom focuses on commercial, industrial, and real estate finance, loan workouts, commercial foreclosures, business bankruptcy and general business litigation. Tom has particularly extensive experience representing financial institutions and other secured creditors in connection with note sales, forbearance agreements, deed-in-lieu agreements, equipment repossessions and assignments for the benefit of creditors, along with new loan documentation. Tom also works closely with business owners, as well as commercial real estate owners, purchasers, developers, landlords, management companies, tenants and receivers in connection with business and real estate acquisitions and sales, leasing, landlord-tenant disputes and title defects. Moreover, Tom has significant litigation and trial experience, and regularly represents clients in a wide variety of business disputes, including breach of contract, fraud, construction defect, shareholder disputes, product defect, unfair competition, and collections. Tom is also a co-founder of the firm’s Dental Practice Group, where he represents dental professionals in connection with practice acquisitions and sales, real estate acquisition and leasing, business formation, contracts, and practice startup or transition guidance.
Tom is an active member of the Illinois State Bar Association, where he holds a leadership position on the Commercial Banking, Collections and Bankruptcy Section Council and he has authored several published ISBA articles. Previously, Tom also served as an Adjunct Professor of Advanced Legal Writing at Loyola University Chicago School of Law.
Tom is a 2002 graduate of Loyola University Chicago School of Law, and is licensed to practice throughout the State of Illinois, in the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, and in the United States District Courts for the Northern District of Illinois, Northern District of Indiana, Eastern District of Wisconsin, and Western District of Michigan.
Recent Cases and Transactions:
- Represented bank in connection with $7.6 Million Dollar acquisition and construction redevelopment loan secured by student housing property.
- Represented private equity investor in connection with note purchase and sale secured by retail and entertainment property.
- Represented bank in connection with commercial and industrial loan package to three borrower affiliates involving cross-capitalized and cross-defaulted capital expenditure loan, real estate loan, line of credit loan and equipment refinance loan.
- Represented one-third owner of group of family businesses involved in complex ownership disputes among siblings resulting in successful acquisition of businesses and dismissal of litigation.
- Represented bank in against agricultural corporation in commercial real estate foreclosure and equipment repossession, and later in borrower’s chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding.
- Represented private equity lender in connection with forbearance agreement, deed-in-lieu agreement, and deed-in-escrow arrangement.
- Represented private equity group in acquisition of restaurant and tavern, and in obtaining relief from municipal liquor license moratorium.