You might ask, what is Elder Law. Our focus is on creating solutions, planning for the future, and helping our clients weather the storm of a crisis with their financial well-being intact.
Because we have been involved in the drafting of legislation and administrative rules relating to Medicaid for long-term care in the state of Illinois, we have a thorough understanding of the current state of affairs and a keen eye for where the future may take us.
What’s more, we have developed certain care and support system relationshipsto help you and your family deal with the actual care needed by you or a loved one, as well as the emotional and physical aspects of growing older, in addition to the devastating cost of care issues.
Elder Law focuses on the following areas of life and death planning:
- “Senior” Estate Planning: specialized wills, revocable and irrevocable trusts, special powers of
attorney, advance directives for seniors and boomers in their senior years
- Probate, Estate, and Trust Administration: including distribution of assets and final accountings
- Estate Tax Matters: planning, preparation and filing of federal and Illinois estate tax returns
- Long-Term Care Planning and Medicaid/VA Qualification: planning for federal and state benefits, planning for home care, assisted living, supportive living and skilled care
- Medicaid Asset Protection Planning: asset spend-down, asset conversion, benefits, applications, and advocacy for qualification for Medicaid benefits
- VA Benefits: help in determining Veteran eligibility
- Guardianship: legal guardianship for a person or for a person’s estate
- Elder Law: focus on the needs of seniors and boomers such as estate planning, disability planning, Medicaid and VA Benefits matters, long-term care needs, Medicare and Social Security
Articles on ELDER LAW
- ELDER LAW UPDATE – March 14, 2018
- “Limited Guardianship: A Customized Approach to Substitute Decision Making”
- “Substitute Decision Making – Limited Guardianship”
- Window Closing On Discounted Family Gifts
- Updating Your Estate Plan
- Transfer on Death Instrument: Requirements, Amendments & Considerations
- Estate Planning
- Pet Trusts in Illnois
- Over the Cliff
- Window Closing On Gifting to Reduce Estate Taxes
- Funeral Arrangements
- Illinois Estate Tax Provision Hidden in Tax Relief Law Signed by Governor Quinn
- Transfer on Death Instruments: The Good and the Bad
- Are Civil Unions the Same as Same-Sex Marriage in Disguise?
- The New Presence of the Illinois Estate Tax
- Good and Bad News on Estate Taxes
- As If You Didn’t Have Enough Problems!
- New Illinois Law Prohibits Use of Credit History in Hiring Decisions
- Treat Your Signed Will With Care!
- An Introduction to Estate Planning
- Practical Probate: Opening Safety Deposit Boxes
- Revocable Grantor Trusts An Estate Planning Tool, Not An Asset Protection Strategy
- Tales From the Front – Six Degrees of Separation