The Trusts and Estates Group at DiMonte & Lizak helps individuals, businesses, and families through the estate planning process and continues to help through the post-mortem process. We have assisted many families to help pass assets down through multiple generations with a focus on the most efficient solutions from a tax perspective and a practical perspective. DiMonte & Lizak also has a strong Trusts and Estates Group in the event problems develop in the probate estate administration or trust estate administration.
Our attorneys have many years of experience from the basics of estate planning (e.g. wills, trusts, powers of attorney for property, and powers of attorney for healthcare) to the more advanced estate planning techniques (e.g. Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts [ILITs], Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts [GRATs], Spousal Lifetime Asset Trusts [SLATs], Irrevocable Trusts, Crummey Trusts, Lifetime Gifting, Charitable Trusts [CRTs and CLTs], Business Succession Planning, Special Needs Trusts, and many other techniques). With the constantly changing federal and state laws, our goal is to ensure the ease of transition from clients to beneficiaries efficiently and effectively.
While most of the basic and advanced basic estate planning is billed on a flat fee basis, more advanced and complex planning typically is billed hourly, although portions of a project may be billed on a flat fee basis.
Probate Estate Administration and Trust Administration
If probate is required for an estate, we are here to help. Our attorneys have substantial experience in probate court and can help guide you through the process and protect you from making costly mistakes. We can assist with marshalling the assets, preparing the inventory and accounting, dealing with creditors’ claims, and making final distributions. If your planning avoids probate and involves trust estate administration, we are also happy to help guide you through the trust estate administration process. We represent both corporate and individual trustees in fairly routine to very complex trust estate administration.
Probate Estate Administration and Trust Estate Administration is typically billed hourly, although we can consider project based flat fees for certain parts of the client engagement (e.g., individual and fiduciary income tax returns or estate tax returns).
Trust and Estate Litigation
If there was no planning or the planning did not go as expected or in the event of wrongdoing by an executor or trustee, our team is here to help. With many years of experience in and out of the courtroom, we focus on personal and family dynamics and creating solutions rather than just fighting. We have also assisted clients through mediation proceedings to more quickly reach settlement.
Trust and estate litigation is typically billed hourly, although we consider alternative fee arrangements which will be fair to both our clients and our firm.
Attorneys Working on Trusts and Estates:
Articles on Trusts and Estates
- ELDER LAW UPDATE – March 14, 2018
- “Limited Guardianship: A Customized Approach to Substitute Decision Making”
- “Substitute Decision Making – Limited Guardianship”
- Window Closing On Discounted Family Gifts
- Updating Your Estate Plan
- Transfer on Death Instrument: Requirements, Amendments & Considerations
- Estate Planning
- Pet Trusts in Illnois
- Over the Cliff
- Window Closing On Gifting to Reduce Estate Taxes
- Funeral Arrangements
- Illinois Estate Tax Provision Hidden in Tax Relief Law Signed by Governor Quinn
- Transfer on Death Instruments: The Good and the Bad
- Are Civil Unions the Same as Same-Sex Marriage in Disguise?
- The New Presence of the Illinois Estate Tax
- Good and Bad News on Estate Taxes
- As If You Didn’t Have Enough Problems!
- New Illinois Law Prohibits Use of Credit History in Hiring Decisions
- Treat Your Signed Will With Care!
- An Introduction to Estate Planning
- Practical Probate: Opening Safety Deposit Boxes
- Revocable Grantor Trusts An Estate Planning Tool, Not An Asset Protection Strategy
- Tales From the Front – Six Degrees of Separation